« Make a 3D video game, dance at the afterparty | Mega Man cupcakes look cute, yummy, accurate »

Children of Men not a big hit among local book club members

My e-friend Nathaniel Payne lives in a small town in America’s heartland. Recently, his town’s local book club agreed to read The Children of Men, a science fiction novel that takes place in the near future (2021, if you’re curious). The Children of Men is generally acknowledged as a pretty good book: it was adapted into a blockbuster feature film, which I own on DVD but have never watched.

Apparently the novel garnered unfavorable reviews from the book club’s members, which resulted the following news item in the town’s local newspaper:

unfavorable

8 responses to “Children of Men not a big hit among local book club members” »

It’s incredible the kind of bizarre books you see for those book clubs. I don’t mean bizarre in the good “God-Emperor of Dune” way, but rather in the “why the hell is every book you read a historical romance novel or a mystery” way. I’ve been pushing for years to get something different in – An aforementioned Dune book, or Terry Pratchett, or Cryptonomicon, etc. but they’ve fallen on deaf ears. I guess people like their comfort zones.

I don’t think I’ve ever heard of this book; I shall have to read it. Currently I’m reading Special Topics in Calamity Physics, which you may find a pretty good book.

2. Roc says:

Nice. I’m assuming that reading a book with a book club is NOT considered “your own time”. I love small towns…that’s why I left mine.

3. Roc says:

Oh wait…I misread that. It doesn’t change my feelings towards small towns, though.

It’s easy to misread. The second paragraph is tough to parse unless you, like, read it aloud.

5. arne says:

@librarian—watch the movie. it’s excellent. cinematography is stellar. and you know i’m a nerd about such things.

@Kevin Bunch—definitely definitely read the book.

This is the kind of thing that makes me hesitant to join a book club. Although I’ve been oft tempted to join my college’s alumni book club. I keep figuring a super nerdy school might have some good books to read, but then the flipside is, maybe it’s going to be all “The Republic” and “Nicomachean Ethics” and stuff perhaps.

@arne I haven’t been back to the Hipster Book Club since it stopped being a livejournal group—kind of takes the ‘club’ out of Club—but I bring it up because your best bet might be, um, something online. edit: Except, actually, shouldn’t there be kind of cool book club somewhere there in LA? I mean, you live in a real city surrounded by other real cities.

7. arne says:

@librarian LA is surrounded by real cities? Surely you jest!

I will look a bit harder and see. I’m starting to read more regularly again, so a book club might be of interest in the near future.

8. Nathaniel says:

“e-friend”. Thanks, Jenn. :)

Gems like this one seem to show up in our paper pretty much every issue. I should probably start my own “small town news” blog and highlight all the ridiculous things people spout publicly when they think that there’s no way anyone outside our tiny little farm town will ever find out about it.