« Nothing, least of all your giant Game Boy, is inviolable | My Favorite Edutainment Titles That Promote Literacy »

Games I’ve never played: Lovecraftian, stereoscopic FPSes

This summer, my friend Chris and I went, along with our friend A.J., to Video Games New York. I browsed the glass case full of Virtual Boy games, then beelined to the counter to ask, in a breathy stage whisper, “Hey, hi. Do you have that Japanese Virtual Boy game? The first-person shooter that is based on Lovecraft? The one where you shoot fish-people?” No, they did not have that game.

Of this event, my friend Chris writes,

I immediately called bullshit on her, since things that awesome just don’t exist, ever.

Then I googled it.

Turns out she was totally not making it up. It’s called “Insmouse no Yakata” (Innsmouth Mansion) and was a first person shooter.

So now you know: the legend is true. The ill-fated Virtual Boy did, indeed, have exactly one 3D first-person shooter, and it took place in Innsmouth, and in it, you actually shot freaky fish people. Except for the time I insisted Mary Tyler Moore had briefly served in the Senate, I have never lost a bet.

Chris found Insmouse no Yakata’s entry at Planet Virtual Boy, here. In addition to a review, they’ve got plenty of screen captures, and even a couple videos, which are available for download.

I filched one of said downloadables and, since none of us may ever pony up the US$80 Insmouse goes for, I have embedded two whole minutes of spoilers, below:

I really want to buy and play this game. For $10.

Don't give up, cheapskate!

6 responses to “Games I’ve never played: Lovecraftian, stereoscopic FPSes” »

The internet says that the game is pretty rare in Japan, too. You may just have to seek out a virtual boy flashcart and throw it on there!

Alternately, assemble a super team of donors to throw money in next time it comes up on ebay so that you only have to pay 10 bucks.

OH, I ADMIT IT. I meant to be awake for the end of the auction, and I wasn’t! I wasn’t! I was asleep!

3. Chris Person says:

You sleep through everything good in life! Admit it!

I have a plan by the way; We buy up every copy of Virtual Bart and Maximum Carnage in America, go to Japan, sell the lot and live like Kings! KINGS I TELLS YA!

That way we can afford you crazy expensive Lovecraftian spectroscopic nightmare games.

Dude, it’s crazy. I saw a cartridge of Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt over there, American, selling for 50 bucks. 50! I think that’s where I’m dragging all my doubles next time I go.

5. Griffin says:

Despite those other Internet listings, the first word of the Japanese title would normally be romanized as “Insumausu.” Might help you find it.

Oh, that makes total sense (and is, yet, exactly the sort of thing I would not know). Thank you for the excellent advice.

Trackbacks
  1. GoNintendo » Blog Archive » Did you know… Virtual Boy had a first-person shooter, Japan only, and it was based off a work of H.P. Lovecraft?- What are you waiting for?