« Daily Linksplosion: Tuesday, March 17, 2009 | This is what we’re going to next week »

T-shirt Thursday: Everyone’s doing it, so why don’t we?

I’ve been thinking a lot about T-shirts lately.

That is to say, I’ve been thinking a lot about how I’m going to pay for Infinite Lives. And if you think of a niche blog as, um, a college radio station, the answers to your funding questions are: yes, a phone-a-thon; a grant from Annie May Swift, ideally; people who will work for free, of course; lots of free press in Spin magazine; a T-shirt!

The going will be tough, though. Everyone and his mom has a T-shirt, after all. Today, Phil Fish’s Polytron Corporation announced their brand new T-shirt shopthis design is so, so wearable.

velocitee

And Flashbang Studios tweeted their overdue design for the Off-Road Velociraptor Safari tee. I’d wear it!

But more importantly, what would you wear?

8 responses to “T-shirt Thursday: Everyone’s doing it, so why don’t we?” »

1. Keely Wahl says:

I buy more novelty T-shirts for my kids than I do for myself. Usually, though, it is things my husband is into—like Emacs reference codes. :) Just saying, offer kids sizes because our generation is breeding.

2. Jon Conley says:

Haha. Off-Road Velociraptor Safari is a magical game. I love those guys at Flashbang Studios. Have you tried Minotaur China Shop? No? Do so: http://blurst.com/minotaur-china-shop/play

T-Shirts, you say? Why stop there? Hoodies, my dear friend! Hoodies! Personally, I’d like to see some designs that we could all relate to, in a somewhat shameful way. For example, how about a shirt showing the ‘logic’ behind a point-and-click puzzle (such as combining two ridiculous items to complete a task)? Much like that Off-Road Velociraptor Safari shirt, the laugh is wasted on the common man. But when you randomly meet someone in passing that laughs and comments ‘nice shirt’, it makes it all worthwhile. It’s like a secret handshake.

Also, everybody on this site appears to have some sort of love for obsolete technology, the ‘glory days’ and hilarious childhood stories (oh, what stories we have). And we all enjoy cooking (apparently).

We’re weird. But in a good way. And that’s what I like about this joint.

So, you have my support. And if you are ever in need of a writer, some ideas, an original soundtrack (to a website!?), or a soup recipe: you have my sword (free of charge).

And I officially put in my vote for an eventual podcast. Dare I say, even some forums?

Podcast coming, but it won’t really have to do with Infinite Lives, so you might be disappointed. Forums, though? I’ve thought about it on and off for, um, years, but I think boards might be overkill. I mean, I love chilling on forums, but I love Talking Time, Digital Press, TIGsource, and little Ning and Livejournal groups. What’s the use of one more? And there’s nothing more miserable than a dead message board—ugh, no thanks.

• Jon Conley says:

I suppose forums can be a bit tough. But sometimes, it’s nice to be able to keep up with the conversations without drilling down through old posts. Perhaps I’m old-fashioned; I just like the control one has over a forum post.

As for the non-IL podcast: goodness, what could it be? Just an hour-long, off-topic Jenn Frankcast? I must say, I’m in love with Robert Ashley’s podcast. It’s like gaming NPR.

P.S. Do clicking on annoying google ads fill your pockets with nickels?

Re P.S.: Obviously I can’t afford to keep running this. And, depressingly, it drives my family and loved ones insane that I spend so much time on it. If the google ads bother you, ignore them. I addressed them in the sidebar, under “policies.”

3. Jon Conley says:

No, no. I didn’t mean that in an offensive way. You have to find a way to support your labor of love. I was merely asking if clicking on those ads helps you at all, or if it’s just tied to unique visitors (traffic)?

Basically, if I click through all of the ads on your page, does it help you in any way?

If you need some help, ask for it. That’s all I’m saying.

Well if you’d need assistance in paying the bills, I could throw down some moneys if need be! Actually, I was thinking back some years, when Penny-Arcade couldn’t afford their bills, and they had donations for extra content. I don’t know, exactly, a blog can offer as bonus content, but it’s an idea!

I wonder if we could drive up hits if you could get some sort of linkage on a larger site? Like how the Digital Press main page has an array of affiliate pages on the side; something to that effect!

I’ll throw down if you ever want to try a podcast for this site!